Today’s program focuses on alignment and balance by strengthening our ability to load unevenly or unilaterally.
Single leg balance, multi-directional hops and staggered rotational jumps will reinforce our natural springs and will prepare us for variability in movement and sport.
Lastly, we will challenge upper body strength with postural endurance, and rotational & flexed core movements.
Disclaimer: Participants wishing to take part in the Fortius online training programs do so at their own risk. Participants should only participate in programs and exercises if they feel they can safely do. If at any time during the program the Participant feels she or he can no longer safely participate in the program they should immediate cease.
Click here to watch the warm-up video before starting the training blocks below.
- Up-Down Dog Mobility Series (1 minute of constant SLOW movement)
- Seated Shin Box Opener (1 minute of constant SLOW movement)
- Shin Box Rotations – 8 reps each side
- Shoulder Protraction/Retraction – 10 reps
- Glute Bridge – 10 reps
- Plank Roll – 8 reps each side
- Kneeling Hip Hinge – 10 reps
- Quadruped Rockers – 10 reps
BLOCK 1 (3 SETS)
1A) Tip toes to single-leg drop: 8 per side
- Stand TALL on tip toes. Drop to a single leg athletic stance – hold for 3 seconds.
1B) Box Drill: 5 per side
- Stay stiff with the ankles and knees. Tap the ground with your forefoot.
1C) Staggered 180 degree hop to land: 6 per side
- Stand in a staggered position (bear most of your bodyweight on the front leg, back leg is for balance like the kickstand of a bike). Jump as high as you can, rotating 180 degrees towards the open side (towards the kickstand leg), and land SOFTLY in an athletic, even stance.
BLOCK 2 (4 SETS)
2A) Split Squat: 8 per side
- Move slowly and bear weight evenly through both feet. Lower the back knee to the floor and drive up through the front heel/foot.
2B) Push Up: 8-10 reps
- Lower AS A UNIT (don’t let your mid-low back arch) to about 1 fist width from the floor. Press up evenly (no back bend), and regress to knees or an incline if you don’t hit 8 reps.
2C) Windshield Wipers: 6 per side
- Slowly lower your legs as far as you can from side to side WITHOUT letting your back arch/ribs flare, and WITHOUT letting the opposite shoulder lift off the floor.
BLOCK 3 (4 SETS)
3A) Single-leg Romanian Deadlift: 8 per side
- Reach the free leg backwards, bending through the hip of the standing leg – KEEP YOUR BACK STRAIGHT. Swing through the supporting hip and stand tall.
3B) Quadruped Ys & Ts: 8 per side
- Back is flat and core engaged. Don’t let your chest drop to the floor while balancing on one arm. Don’t shrug your shoulders towards your ears (keep your neck long).
3C) Heel Taps to Crunch: 8 reps
- Dig your heels into the floor to squeeze your hamstrings. Keep your chin tucked as you partially curl up and tap each heel and then your knees – do not rest your back flat to the floor between reps.