Recipe of the Month: Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Tomatillo SalsaJune 28, 2019 | by Kourtney Gordon
TIPS FROM YOUR DIETITIAN
Shrimp are a great protein-rich, lower-fat seafood option for this simple and quick dish that’s perfect for BBQ season.
Tomatillos — the denser, more acidic cousin of tomatoes — are high in vitamin C and K, as well as carotenoids that help to support good eye health. This tomatillo salsa is a flavour-packed versatile addition to many dishes, from your tortilla dish of choice, to a sweet potato bean hash and, of course, over with your favourite style of eggs.
This dish is a great source of vitamin C and fibre!
- 4 large tomatillos, husks removed and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp. green onions
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 4 tsp. fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 lbs, ~20 medium shrimp (~20, peeled and deveined)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 sprigs cilantro for garnish
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Cabbage, chopped
- Avocado, sliced
For the tomatillo salsa:
- Preheat your broiler and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the tomatillos and jalapeno down on the baking sheet, cut side down. If you don’t want it to be too spicy, you can remove the seeds and veins.
- Broil until lightly charred and shriveled, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatillos, pepper, plus the green onions, cilantro and lime juice to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Season with salt.
For the shrimp:
- Heat stovetop or outdoor grill to medium high.
- Mix olive oil, chipotle powder, salt in large bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Lightly sauté or grill shrimp until cooked thoroughly (pink).
- Grill tortillas until slightly charred and pliable, ~20 seconds per side. Alternatively wrap in paper towel and heat in microwave.
Layer salsa and shrimp on tortilla, squeeze fresh lime juice. Fold over and eat.
Per 2 Tacos:
- 250 calories
- 10g fat
- 25g carbohydrates
- 15g protein