Shoes matter: why a proper fit is importantMarch 24, 2017 | by FitFirst Shoe Store, Fortius Retail Partner
These days, with thousands of different models of shoes on the market, it’s virtually impossible for consumers to keep up and select on their own, the most appropriate brand and model for their individual foot type and function.
Inappropriate, ill-fitting or worn out shoes can increase the chance of injury. As well, over time, shoes lose their stability and capacity to absorb shock, which can dramatically increase stress to your feet and legs. These added stresses could lead to blisters and calluses as well as contribute to lower limb overuse injuries causing heel, arch and shin pain.
WHY FIT MATTERS
Many studies show that our quality of life is directly related to remaining active, with a long list of benefits from preventing heart disease to improving mental health. Proper fitting and functioning footwear is crucial to maintaining this active lifestyle and preventing exercise related injury.
Fit matters because…
- Poor fitting footwear is a primary contributor to foot and ankle injury and can exacerbate many common health conditions.
- Foot size, forefoot width and arch type are essential measurements in a proper footwear fitting, but there is more to know about ensuring an ideal fit.
- Black toenails and foot cramping are often signs that your shoes are too small or too narrow.
- For runners, the more distance you cover during individual runs or walks, the longer your shoe needs to be.
- For cross training and moving laterally, you should choose a sturdy shoe with a snug fit that makes the foot feel as though it is taped within the shoe.
YOUR HEALTH MATTERS @ FITFIRST
Whether you are training for a certain event, getting ready for summer activities or working your way back from an injury, our store’s staff are here to help! FitFirst Footwear strives to stay on top of the latest trends and technologies, and are here to assist with fit and to recommend the most appropriate running and walking shoe for your foot type. At FitFirst Footwear, we know an annual foot measurement and attention to your changing health needs makes a significant difference in choosing footwear to keep you active and injury free.
Whether you wear orthotics, have arthritis, diabetes or experience changes in your feet during pregnancy, our team will provide you with the knowledge you need and a level of service and customer care that stands above the rest.
Visit our website to learn more about FitFirst Footwear