Home Workout Series #2: The Crazy 8 CountdownMarch 23, 2020 | by Fortius Sport & Health
During times like these, our physical and mental health is a top priority,
While our doors are temporarily closed to protect the health of our community, we asked our coaches to put together some of their favourite workouts to help you stay active at home. In-case you missed it, try Workout #1 here with Coach Matt Waddell.
Crazy 8 Countdown
By Strength & Conditioning Coach Jermaine John-Archer
This pyramid-style circuit improves strength endurance with elements of light cardiovascular conditioning, suitable for all ages. Read through the exercises below and follow along with the video above!
*“Toe-Touch High Plank” is not recommended for people with shoulder pain/diagnosed shoulder injuries (use the “Windmill” exercise as a screen to proceed with this exercise)*
Activation and Movement Prep
Warm-up with these two exercises.
1. Core Activation Prep: “Windshield Wipers”
- 2 sets, 15 reps/side.
- Squeeze a yoga block or pillow between your thighs/knees.
- Slowly lower your legs as far as you can to one side WITHOUT letting your back arch/ribs flare, and WITHOUT letting the opposite shoulder lift off the floor.
- With control, lift your legs back to your starting position.
- Alternate sides and repeat.
2. Shoulder/Hip Stability Prep: “Windmills”
- 2 sets, 15 reps/side.
- Stand with feet outside your hips (fairly wide stance).
- Balance a shoe on a soft fist on your RIGHT hand and press it overhead – keep your eyes on it.
- Push your hips to the RIGHT as you hinge your hips and touch the floor/yoga block with your left hand (keep your eyes at the shoe balancing overhead).
- Return to an upright position by swinging through the hips and squeezing your glutes – keep looking at the shoe overhead.
- Repeat for 15 reps on one side – don’t drop the shoe. Then, switch sides.
- If you have any pain or discomfort in your shoulder while performing this exercise, do not do the “Toe-Touch in High Plank” exercise
- Complete a set of “High Heel Squats” for 8 reps, followed by a set of 8 reps/side of “Toe-Touch High Plank”.
- Complete a set of “High Heel Squats” for 7 reps, followed by a set of 7 reps/side of “Toe-Touch High Plank”.
- Continue to superset these two exercises until you’ve counted down to 1 rep.
- Your goal is to complete the 8 sets as fast as possible.
- For a finisher, continue one last superset with MAX reps to see what you have left in the tank.
1. “High Heel Squats”
- Heels elevated.
- Feet shoulder width (or a comfortable) distance apart.
- Hands out in front for balance.
- Squat down with the heels remaining elevated.
- Stand back up tall.
- Heels should never touch the ground.
2. “Toe-Touch in High Plank”
- Start in a high plank/push-up position.
- Press your hips in the air and reach across your body to touch the opposite toe.
- Return to your high plank/push-up position – do not arch or bend into your lower back.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- For extra difficulty, add a push-up after every toe-touch.