Home Workout Series #6: Lower Body Power & StrengthApril 6, 2020 | by Fortius Sport & Health
In times like these, our physical and mental health are a top priority.
While our doors are temporarily closed to protect the health of our community, we asked our coaches to put together some of their favourite workouts to help you stay active at home. Did you miss workouts #1 – #5? Scroll to the bottom of this page to check them out!
LOWER BODY POWER & STRENGTH
By Performance Rehabilitation Coach Tony Giannikouris
No gym, no problem when it comes to maintaining your lower body power and strength! These three exercises are selected to work on power and a balance of quad to hip/hamstring strength.
Warm up with these three mobility exercises from workout #3.
Jump Squat: 3-5 sets X 5 reps
- Hands on hips, lower down and hold squat position.
- Without bouncing, jump with maximal effort and full extension.
- Absorb and control your landing, hold, and repeat.
Single Leg Pistol Squat: 3-5 sets X 10-20 reps per side
- Arms in front for counterbalance, keep your foot flat on the floor.
- Lower down as far as you can control with good form.
- You can mark your depth by tapping your hips to a chair, but do not sit or rest on it.
Slide Hamstring Curl: 3-5 sets X 10-20 reps per side
- Use a towel and smooth floor, set up on your back, hips up.
- 3 levels of difficulty:
- Double leg
- Single leg out, double leg in
- Single leg
- On the way out, control slow.
- On the way in, maintain bridge with hips, don’t arch your back.