Nine exercise tips for managing a healthy heartJanuary 27, 2017
More than 1.6 million Canadians have reported living with heart disease. While there are many different factors in heart health management and prevention, according to the Heart and Stroke Foundation "regular activity is one of the best ways to make a good recovery".
As the muscular force behind circulation, our heart is integral in pumping oxygenated blood throughout our body for nourishment. And, as a muscle, it needs to be “challenged” appropriately to maintain its vital function. However, it is important you aren’t doing too much too soon and putting yourself at further risk.
This is why we’re excited to launch the new Fortius Healthy Heart program with coach-supervised low-impact cardiovascular training, resistance training, balance, core stability and flexibility training.
Not sure if Fortius Healthy Heart is right for you? Here are nine exercise tips to think about when maintaining or managing heart health.
- Talk to your Doctor or CEP (Certified Exercise Physiologist) – It is important to check in before beginning a new exercise program to manage any potential risks appropriately.
- Make small incremental changes – When managing heart heart, small increases in physical activity offer substantial health benefits with the least amount of risk.
- Intensity – Exercising at a comfortable level (where you can comfortably have a conversation) is beneficial in improving your aerobic power.
- Walk – 30 min/day of brisk walking can reduce risk of heart attack by one third!!
- Diversity – Aerobic conditioning, weight training and mobility exercises make a complete exercise program and a consistent change will help you stick to your routine and have more fun.
- RPE – Use a RPE (rating of perceived exertion) scale to help you measure the intensity of your exercise.
- Set goals – Realistic goals will help you stay motivated and on track.
- Make fitness social – Engage in fun activities like dancing, Pilates, skiing or trying a low impact group class that allows you to exercise while having fun.
- Join the Fortius Healthy Heart program! – Kicking off February 1, our bi-weekly training program is built specifically for those looking to manage heart health.
MORE ON FORTIUS HEALTHY HEART
Through education and supervised exercise training, the Fortius Healthy Heart program is committed to supporting the ongoing cardiovascular health and physical fitness of our community.
Fortius Healthy Heart is recommended for clients graduating from Phase 3 of the Fraser Health Authority’s Healthy Heart program, as well as anyone looking to maintain or improve their cardiovascular and physical health in a low-impact environment.
Visit our Fortius Healthy Heart website page to learn more or call 604.292.2502 to register!
MORE ON CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH:
Want to learn more? Here are a couple of great resources on cardiovascular health, heart disease, and heart foundation programs: