Recipe of the Month: Peach chicken with basil & balsamicAugust 25, 2017 | by Melissa Kazan
What better way to eat local and enjoy our fresh BC summer peaches, (and basil from your garden if you grow any!) than with this flavorful Peach Chicken with Basil and Balsamic dish. This recipe is easy to make and takes little time to prepare making it a refreshing weeknight meal!
TIPS FROM YOUR DIETITIAN
Did you know that a medium peach has fewer than 70 calories and contains 3 grams of fiber? To enjoy peaches at their best, select fruit with rich yellow background color. When the fruit is green, especially near the stem, it is still not ripe.
Learn more about our sport dietitians and book your appointment today!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 (~4-5 oz. each) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 cups firm but ripe peaches, sliced (about 2 medium peaches)
- 1 (14.5) oz. can diced tomatoes, drained (you can find canned diced tomatoes with no salt added if you are watching your salt intake)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil ribbons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 3 minutes until translucent. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until golden (about 2.5 minutes per side). Remove the chicken and transfer to a plate leaving oil and onions in skillet.
- Add garlic to skillet and sauté until both onion and garlic are combines (less than 1 minute). Add balsamic vinegar and continue stirring until reduced by half. Stir in honey then add in the peaches and tomatoes and toss ingredients together. Season lightly with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Return chicken to skillet, nestling between peaches and tomatoes. Cover skillet with lid and reduce heat to medium low allowing to simmer until chicken is cooked through (~10-15 minutes).
- Once cooked, remove skillet from heat and top with basil.
NUTRITION FACTS (JUST THE BASE)
- Total kcal: 320kcal
- Fat: 11g
- Carbs: 23g
- Protein: 32g
- Fiber: 2g
This recipe is a good source of B-vitamins and vitamin A.
Recipe adapted from http://www.cookingclassy.com/balsamic-peach-chicken-skillet/
PLAN AHEAD WITH OUR HOLIDAY OFFERINGS
When you host a meeting or event at Fortius between November and early January, you’ve got the option of trying our mouth-watering holiday buffet. From succulent roasted turkey to honey-glazed ham to homemade cranberry sauce, your group will be going back for seconds.
Call 604.292.2500 to book today!