Recipe of the Month: Curry Rice SaladApril 26, 2019 | by Kourtney Gordon, Performance Dietitian
TIPS FROM YOUR DIETITIAN
This colourful rice salad is a versatile side option as part of a balanced plate for a weekday dinner or a bring-along to a pot luck or barbeque. Green peas provide a great source of vitamin C to promote repair and immunity, and vitamin A which supports healthy vision. Try substituting rice for quinoa or pearl couscous or barley for something a little different. Make ahead of time and let marinate in the fridge overnight for even more flavour curry flavour.
Looking to improve your sports nutrition? Visit our Sports Nutrition page to learn more about our services.
- 1 1/3 cup (330mL) brown rice
- 2-2.5 cups (500-625ml) frozen peas, thawed or partially cooked
- 1.5 cups (675ml) celery, chopped in 0.5cm slices
- ¼ cup white onion, finely diced
- 100mL vegetable oil*
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) celery seed
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) salt
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) malt vinegar
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
*Choose a flavourless oil of your choice. Olive oil will overpower the flavour of the curry.
Total time: 30 minutes
- Measure 2-2.5 cups of frozen sweet peas and thaw completely.
- Bring rice and 1 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 26-30 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine ingredients for dressing in separate container.
- Chop celery and onion into 0.5 cm pieces.
- Combine cooled rice, thawed peas, celery and onion.
- Drizzle with half of dressing and mix to combine. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Check to ensure dressing has been absorbed by rice. Add more dressing to taste.
Makes 8-9 servings
Per serving (using brown rice):
- 230 Kcals
- 26g carbohydrate (5g fibre)
- 10g fat
- 5g protein