Recipe of the Month: Fruit & Nut Oatmeal Muffin CupsJuly 26, 2019 | by Kourtney Gordon, Registered Dietitian
These oatmeal muffin cups are a ‘choose-your-own-adventure’ option as part of an on-the-go breakfast or a pre-workout snack.
Muffins can be made ahead and frozen and thawed later. Experiment with gluten-free or dairy-free options to meet your specific dietary needs.
This recipe is an excellent source of fibre!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 3 cups whole oats
- 1/3 cup nuts, chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 super ripe bananas
- 2.5 cups milk (option to swap with soy milk, almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (canola, vegetable, or coconut- melted and cooled)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2-2.25 cups fruit of choice, finely diced
Flavours to try:
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups peaches, finely diced
- ½ tsp ginger
- 2 large kiwi, finely diced
- 1 cup pineapple, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a bowl, mix together oats, nuts, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together banana, milk, egg, egg whites, vanilla, oil and diced fruit.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and let batter sit for 10-12 minutes.
- Spray 24 regular sized muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide batter between the muffin tins.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes or until you see a light golden brown colour along the edges.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing.
NUTRITION HIGHLIGHTS (with 1% milk)
- 180 calories
- 6g fat
- 23g carbohydrates (3g fibre)
- 5g protein