Recipe of the Month: No-Bake Monster PizzaOctober 27, 2017 | by Melissa Kazan
Yes, healthy treats for Halloween do exists, no tricks here! This easy no-bake avocado pizza has a spooky look, perfect to set the Halloween mood and will definitely be a fun and healthy treat for the whole family.
TIPS FROM YOUR DIETITIAN
Avocadoes are stone fruits that are loaded with nutrition, such as fibre, potassium, magnesium and antioxidants. Did you know that most of the calories from avocadoes are coming from fats? These are healthy fats of course, which are beneficial for maintaining brain health, keeping the immune system strong and allowing us to absorb fat soluble vitamins and minerals.
Visit our website to learn more about performance nutrition services!
WHAT YOU NEED
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup guacamole (or mashed ripe avocadoes)
- Juice of ½ lime
- 5-6 inch thick whole-wheat pitas (x4)
- 16 slices cucumber, ¼ inch thick
- 1 ounce sticks mozzarella string cheese, each cut into 12 rounds (x4)
- 1-2 tablespoon cooked or canned black beans, halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Mash ripe avocadoes and add salt and pepper to taste and juice of ½ lime. Alternatively, you can use store bought guacamole. Spread 4 tablespoons guacamole/ mashed avocadoes over each pita.
- Top each pita with 4 cucumber slices, 12 cheese slices and 12 bean halves, creating eyeballs by placing half a bean on each cheese slice; place some of these on cucumber slices.
- Cut the pizzas into wedges or serve whole.
NUTRITION HIGHLIGHTS (Makes 4 servings)
- Total Calories: 350 kcal; Fat: 16 g; Carbs: 47 g (Fiber: 9 g); Protein: 15 g