Recipe of the month: Spicy Sweet Potato and Pear SoupSeptember 29, 2017 | by Melissa Kazan
As fall sets in, you will find this Spicy Sweet Potato and Pear soup to be hearty and warm.
Sweet potatoes are deep orange starchy vegetables that are rich in beta-carotene, an antioxidant from the carotenoid family, which helps preserve vision, fight infection and maintain healthy skin. This dish can be served as a warming side dish, or as a main meal for dinner or lunch. You can top with toasted pepitas, sautéed tofu or Italian sausage to boost the protein content of your meal.
Visit our website to learn more about our sport dietitians or call 604.292.2501 to book your appointment today!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 pears, sliced
- ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsps. (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsps. (30 ml) freshly grated ginger
- 3 cups (750 ml) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups (375 ml) 1% milk
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- Salt & pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large saucepan, brown the sweet potatoes, pears, onion, and garlic in the oil. Incorporate the stock. Bring the boil. Cover and simmer for 10 min.
- Add the ginger. Continue cooking until the sweet potatoes are tender, then add the carrots.
- Remove pot from heat and transfer ingredients to blender and reduce to a puree.
- Return the puree to the sauce pan, incorporate the milk and reheat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cayenne pepper and season with salt & pepper. You can adjust consistency to your liking by adding more broth or water.
NUTRITION HIGHLIGHTS (Makes 6 servings)
- 240 calories
- 40g carbohydrate
- 5.5g fibre
- 7g fat
- 8g protein
This recipe is a good source of vitamin A, potassium and fibre.
Recipe adapted from Zero diet Cookbook – Delicious & healthy recipes for success by Audrey-Anne Leduc, P.Dt.