Recipe of the Month: Tilapia TacosJuly 27, 2018 | by Melissa Kazan, Fortius Sports Dietitian
TIPS FROM YOUR DIETITIAN
Many individuals fall short of meeting the 2-3 servings of fish weekly to get their omega-3 needs. I’ve had many clients say they love fish but don’t know how to cook it, or get put off by the fishy smell the whole kitchen can be left with.
Tilapia is a great starter fish for those beginning to cook fish for the first time. It is mild tasting and pairs with many different seasonings and sauces. A 100g serving will have 25% of your daily omega-3 needs, 20g of protein and just under 100 calories!
Try these easy Tilapia Tacos made with bell peppers, onions and Mexican spices. You can use this recipe as a guide and customize the tacos to your own liking.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
• 4-5 thin slices yellow onion
• ½ red bell pepper sliced
• ½ yellow or orange bell pepper sliced
• X4 5 oz. tilapia fillet
• 1 Tbs Chili Powder
• ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
• ¼ tsp Onion Powder
• ¼ tsp dried Oregano
• 1½ tsp Cumin
• ¼ tsp Sea Salt
• ¼ tsp Black Pepper
• 2 tbsps. olive oil
• ¾ shredded cheddar cheese
• 1.5 avocado sliced
• Coriander (small bunch), chopped
• Freshly squeezed lime ½-1 small
• 8x 5-6inch corn tortilla
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place Tilapia fillets on baking sheet and drizzle 1 tbsp. olive oil evenly over fish
3. In a small bowl mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle seasoning evenly over each side of the fillets.
4. Bake 20 minutes flipping the fillets half way through.
5. While the fish is cooking, sauté onions and yellow and red bell pepper on medium heat with 1 tbsp. oil for ~5 min until cooked but not completely soft. Transfer to small serving bowl.
6. Prepare shredded cheese, sliced avocado and chopped coriander in small plates or bowls ready to serve for taco assembly.
7. To each tortilla, add 2.5 oz tilapia, 1-2 slices avocado and sprinkle with cheese and coriander.
NUTRITION HIGHLIGHTS (makes 4 servings)
Per 2 tacos: 490 calories
- Fat 24g
- Carbohydrate 34g (fibre 8g)
- Protein 38g