Recipe of the month: Tomato and Chickpea StewJanuary 27, 2017
Every month our chef is whipping up a new feature meal in our Game Changers Bistro.
Stop by to try it out OR make it at home with tips from our Fortius dietitians.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped (or a can of diced or whole tomatoes with juice)
- 2 medium or 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro stems (save the leaves for garnish)
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable low sodium stock or water
- 19 oz. (540 mL) can chickpeas, drained
- ¼ – ½ cup unsalted peanut butter
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of torn or chopped kale (optional)
- Chopped peanuts and/or fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a slick of oil in a large pot and cook the onions for a few minutes, until soft.
- Add the jalapeño, garlic and ginger and cook for another couple minutes, then add the spices for a minute, and then everything else except the kale.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, until the veggies are very soft. Stir in the kale and cook until it wilts.
- Serve topped with yogurt or peanuts or cilantro, or all of the above.
- Total kcal: 350kcal
- Fat: 13g
- Carbs: 48g
- Protein: 13g
- Fiber: 12g
Tips from your Dietitian:
A healthy, flavourful meal that can be frozen and used when time gets tight. Chickpeas are a great source of protein fiber a generous 9g of fiber to ¾ cup serving. This is 24% of the recommended daily protein intake for men and 36% for women.
Learn more about our sport nutrition dietitians and book your appointment today!