Recipe of the Month: Turkey Tenderloin with Cranberry Shallot SauceDecember 29, 2017 | by Melissa Kazan
Turkey meat is an excellent source of lean proteins and energy boosting B-vitamins, when eaten without the skin.
TIPS FROM YOUR DIETITIAN
Not sure what to do with all that leftover turkey? Try this delicious take on turkey with cranberry shallot sauce. Pair it with baked brussel sprouts or asparagus, and sweet potato puree for a deliciously balanced holiday meal.
Learn more about our sport dietitians and book your appointment today!
WHAT YOU NEED
Makes 6 servings
- 2 turkey tenderloins (about 1½ pounds total) – raw or cooked
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 4 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- ¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) cranberries
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fruit-flavored vinegar, such as raspberry or pomegranate
HOW TO MAKE IT
- If cooking turkey from raw, preheat oven to 450°F.
- Sprinkle turkey tenderloins with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey and cook, turning to brown all sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a baking sheet. Roast until thermometer registers 165 degrees, 15 to 25 minutes (depending on the size).
NOTE: If using leftovers, skip to step 3 and warm up your leftover turkey right before serving.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 minutes. Add thyme and cook, about 10 seconds. Add broth and cook, scraping up any browned bits, for 1 minute. Stir in fresh and dried cranberries and cook until most of the fresh cranberries have broken down, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir brown sugar, vinegar and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt into the sauce; cook for 1 minute. Cover and remove from the heat.
- Let the turkey rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes. Thinly slice; serve with the sauce and side dishes, as applicable.
- 210 calories
- 5g fat
- 13g carbohydrate
- 1g fibre
- 20g protein