Recipe of the Month: Warm Mocha Oat SmoothieOctober 26, 2018 | by Fortius Sport & Health
TIPS FROM YOUR DIETITIAN
Why down a cold smoothie leaving your body shivering on a fall morning, when you can have a warm comforting drink that’s just as nutritious?
This Warm Mocha Oat Smoothie has a kick of caffeine from the coffee and dark chocolate – I think you’ll agree that it’s the perfect way to start your day!
Dark chocolate has been getting health publicity for many years. The health benefits of dark chocolate mainly stems from its active ingredients called cocoa flavonols. A recent review looked at the impact of these cocoa flavonols on sport performance, heavy training as well as overall health.
In a nutshell, cocoa flavonols don’t really provide a sport performance benefit, however they could decrease inflammation in periods of heavy training. There is little evidence suggesting that intake of cocoa flavonols with moderate exercise can decrease risk of cardiovascular disease.
Although you’re better off getting any anti-inflammatory benefit from fruits, vegetables and fibre-rich foods, a little dark chocolate never harmed anyone!
WHAT YOU NEED
Makes 1 serving
- 15g dark chocolate (60% or more)
- 1 cup 1-2% milk (to your preference, can also swap regular cow milk for soy or almond milk)
- 30 ml shot of espresso or 1 tsp instant coffee mixed with 2 tbsp hot water.
- 3 tbsp. large flake oats
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp. hazelnuts
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. cold water
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Add the dark chocolate to a jug, pour in the milk and the espresso. Microwave until the mixture is warm and the chocolate has melted (you can do this in a pan if you prefer).
- Place the oats, banana, hazelnuts, chia seeds, water and ¼ of the milk mixture to your smoothie maker or blender. Add in an extra splash of cold water if you think the liquid is too warm to be blended. Attn: Make sure not to blend hot liquids in your blender as it can shatter the glass if you are using a glass blender, or will come exploding out from the pressure after you open the lid.
- Blend on high for a minute until the oats and chia seeds have been completely incorporated.
- While blending, further heat the rest of the milk mixture until warm or hot, depending on your preference. Pour the blended oat mix into your cup, stir in the milk/chocolate mix and serve.
NUTRITION HIGLIGHTS – Serves 1
- 410 calories
- 12g fat
- 65g carbohydrate (8g fibre)
- 14g protein
Decroix, L., Soares, D.D., Meeusen, R. et al. Sports Med (2018) 48: 867. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-017-0849-1