Recipe of the month: Springtime spinach saladApril 28, 2017
Spring has finally sprung and our local BC produce are coming into season, including nutrient packed spinach.
Tips from your Dietitian:
It’s a rich source of iron and calcium and very versatile, served both hot or cold. Try spinach raw as the base of a salad, add it to a wrap, or try it cooked in your next omelet or lasagna. Visit the BC Farmers Market website for a list of local in-season produce.
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1/2 a large tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 50g herbed goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp of avocado chopped
- 2 tbsp of soy nuts
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2 tbsp vinaigrette salad dressing (your choice!)
- Put the nuts and seeds in a dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until golden in spots (about 3 minutes).
- Mix together spinach, tomatoes and mushroom and toss with dressing
- Top with remaining ingredients
Total kcal: 310kcal
- Fat: 29g
- Carbs: 10g
- Protein: 10g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 149mg
FUEL UP BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR WORKOUT
Located on the second floor, Game Changers Bistro @ Fortius offers a seasonally inspired menu featuring delicious and healthy options including fresh salads, sandwiches, home-made soups, and gourmet burgers.
Stop by Monday to Friday for lunch OR take advantage of our meal to-go services for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Visit our Bistro page to learn more.