Dr. Bill Mackie
Sports Medicine Physician
Dr. Bill Mackie joins the Fortius Sports Medicine Clinic as a Sport Medicine Physician. He started at UBC in Physical Education then transferred to the University of Michigan graduating with a B.Sc. in Physical Education "Magna Cum Laude", entered graduate school at U of M for a M.Sc. in Education, Physiology of Exercise, and finally UBC Medical School, graduating in 1976. In 1977 he began practice in both Family Medicine and Sport Medicine in Victoria and coaching gymnastics at UVic. After 8 years, he moved to Vancouver in similar roles, becoming involved in the BC Gymnastics Association and later its President, as well as serving 3 years on the Board of Sport BC. In 1989 Dr. Mackie was elected as delegate for Vancouver in the BC Medical Association (BCMA), and in 2008 became President. Through BCMA, Dr. Mackie provided a voice for promoting improved physical activity, especially for youth. He advocated for safety measures in sport and recreation such as mandatory bicycle helmets. As BCMA rep to the Directorate of Agencies for School Health, he promoted increased health education in curriculums, health school programs and improved health services. Dr. Mackie became President of DASH in 1993. He has also taught extensively in UBC Medical School, Department of Family Practice and is a Clinical Professor at UBC Faculty of Medicine. He provided sport medicine coverage for many sporting events and was active in forming the Section of Sport Medicine within BCMA and served as President. He has been a Member of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine for about 30 years and will be recognized as Canadian Community Sport Medicine Physician of the Year at 2010 CASM Meeting in June in Toronto. Dr. Bill Mackie was a member of Collegiate National Championship team in Canada and the USA and a member of the Canadian Olympic Gymnastics team in Munich 1972.
- Bachelor of Science”Magna cum Laude”, University of Michigan
- Master of Science (Educ.), University of Michigan
- MD, University of British Columbia
- President BC Medical Association (2008)
- Canadian Community Sport Medicine Physician of the Year recognized by Canadian Academy of Sport and Exercise Medicine (2009)
- Patellofemoral Syndrome
- Doctors of BC (formerly BCMA)
- Canadian Academy of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Board of Directors, Physiotherapy Association of BC.
- Canadian Medical Association MD/MP program of the Political Action Committee