Dr. Tommy Gerschman
Dr. Tommy Gerschman is the Clinical Research Chair and a Pediatric Rheumatologist with Special Interest in Pediatric Sport and Exercise Medicine. Dr. Gerschman received his M.D. from the University of British Columbia and is a board-certified Pediatric Rheumatologist. He holds an MSc with Distinction in Sports Medicine, Exercise and Health from the University College of London (UK). His area of interest is applying the principles of Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology to a wide-range of kids; from aspiring athletes, to children in recreational sport, and to children with chronic diseases.
Dr. Gerschman has spent time during his training working in Sydney, Australia at the Children's Hospital Institute of Sports Medicine and in London (UK) both the Institute of Sport, Exercise, and Health and also Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children. Dr. Gerschman has also worked collaboratively with Calgary's Sport Injury Prevention Research Centre on examining risk factors for concussions.
- M.Sc. with Distinction, Sports Medicine, Exercise and Health, University College of London (UK)
- Pediatric Rheumatology Residency, University of British Columbia
- Pediatrics Residency, University of British Columbia
- M.D., University of British Columbia
- B.Sc. (Honours), Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia
- Jogging (completed BMO Vancouver Marathon May 2014)
- Hundreds of children across Western Canada (BC, Alberta, Manitoba) with musculoskeletal complaints. Treating children ranging from those with chronic rheumatic diseases, aspiring athletes, and those with chronic pain.
- Provincial and national level youth athletes in sports including soccer, ice hockey, ringette, lacrosse, swimming, trampolining, dance, and more.
- Pediatric Rheumatologist, Alberta Children’s Hospital, Calgary
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Pediatrics, UBC
- Present Chair, Athletics and Recreation Committee, Doctors of BC
- Present Member, Council on Health Economics & Policy, Doctors of BC
- Honorary Fellow (Rheumatology), Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, Australia
- Honorary Clinical Fellow (Pediatric Emergency), KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Singapore
- Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Concussion Risk Factors in Youth Sports
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis and its Impact on Athletes
- Effect of Exercise on Chronic Disease
- Pediatric Sport and Exercise Program Development
- Fellow (Dual Certified Pediatrics and Rheumatology), Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Pediatrics, University of British Columbia
- Clinical Lecturer, Department of Pediatrics, University of Calgary
- Doctors of BC (formerly known as BC Medical Association)
- Doctors of BC Section of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Canadian Medical Association
- American College of Rheumatology
- Canadian Rheumatology Association
- Canadian Pediatric Society