Richard Hawes is a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) within the practitioner team of the Fortius Sports Medicine Clinic and has been an RMT since 1994. Throughout his career he has treated a patient population that has varied from professional athletes to hospice bound patients, from infant to aged and from all different walks of life. He has a special interest in treating athletes as a part of their training regime or in conjunction with other health care professionals.
Richard has been a part time Primary Instructor and teaching assistant at West Coast College of Massage Therapy for many years. He has taught Athletic/Sports massage, Remedial Exercise, Orthopedic Assessment and Treatment, Neurological Assessment and Treatment, Joint Mobilizations, Myology and more recently has been the lead instructor for the Consolidated Practice and Final Oral practical evaluation.
Over the years he has volunteered for several different community programs, sports teams and associations (including the Canadian Soccer Association, Cricket BC and Canada Cricket) as well as several private companies. In 2009 he initiated, and was Lead Therapist for the Massage Therapy program at The Ride to Conquer Cancer. In his leisure time he is very involved in coaching youth soccer and is presently a staff coach with Fusion FC. He has also worked in the Vancouver Whitecaps Academy and is a Coach Facilitator with BC Soccer. He holds a National B license and is pursuing his A license with both the CSA and UEFA.
- BA degree in Sport Studies, Chichester University, England
- Diploma in Registered Massage Therapy, West Coast College of Massage Therapy, Vancouver.
- Cricket BC,
- Cricket Canada.
- Canadian Soccer Association
- Ride to Conquer Cancer
- Vancouver Whitecaps
- Soccer player both with amateur and professional clubs in England and Asia.
- Captain of Cricket BC and Canadian National Team player
- Previously on the Canadian Cricket Senior team selection panel
- Massage Therapy protocols with athletes suffering from cancer
- Post game/training Massage Therapy methodology with soccer players